Ordering Custom Width Aluminum Gates
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IS: D L O
- Definition: DLO stands for Daylight Opening Measurement. The space from inside to inside of two objects; typically 2 of our Gate Posts. Or, two existing structures (house, building, wall, column) or one of our posts and an existing structure. Different hinges are needed sometimes for different applications. Our guys at the factory will deal with hinge and lock reductions. Also, if you’re mounting a driveway gate or estate gate between 2 brick columns or 2 brick walls without using Gate Posts, then you must use the Heavy Duty Gate Hinges and obtain your own anchor screws locally based upon the type of material you’re connecting to.
D L O aka gate width does not include the Gate Posts
Gate Posts sold separately on this website. i.e. Gate Posts are not automatically included with your gate purchase.
If using our Heavy Duty Gate Hinges (required for larger/wider gates), you must have 4″ x 4″ posts or larger.
- Bonus: You don’t have to worry about how much spacing is needed based upon the hinge options. We will do that and fabricate the gate and the hinge and lock spacing so that your gate will fit the DLO measurement you give to us. All you have to do is provide us with the correct measurement. For example, let’s say you were going to install a single swing gate between two walls that measured 68 1/2 inches… wall to wall. And, you wanted to flush mount two – 2×2 Gate Posts (Blank) to each wall. Well, you would subtract 4 inches from 68 1/2 and that would leave you 64 1/2 inches as your DLO. Next, (scroll down) shows you how to easily order and notate your custom width gate measurement.
D L O = gate width or opening or daylight opening
GreatFence gate widths are not actual. All GreatFence gate widths (single gate, double gate, estate gate) include the spacing for the hinges and the lock. Deductions are made at the factory based upon the gate hinge and gate lock you’ve chosen for your gate. Review the examples below.
HOW TO ORDER
- Order the next standard gate width WIDER than your custom DLO
- During Checkout, write your custom gate width in the Order notes
- Check your emailed order receipt
EXAMPLE 1: You need to put a single gate between your house and your garage. You only have 55 inches of space after installing 2 of our gate posts. i.e. the 2 gate posts will be 55 inches apart. SOLUTION: order and pay for a 60 inch wide gate and then, during checkout, simply type the following into the Order Notes text box:
EXAMPLE 2: You have a 12 foot wide driveway with 2 feet of grass on each side. The driveway is exactly 12 feet wide and you don’t want to drill any holes in the driveway. You really want a 13 foot wide gate but there is 13 foot option to select on the website. SOLUTION: order and pay for a 14 foot wide double gate, then, during checkout, simply type into the Order Notes text box:
Check your emailed receipt for your custom width order notes
We like happy customers so we have a safeguard in place for you. After you place your order, a detailed receipt will be emailed to you. The custom order notes you typed in, during Checkout, will automatically be carried over into your receipt so check your receipt to make sure. If your notes are there (and they should be), then you are fully covered. If for any reason the custom notes are not in your receipt, you will need to contact our Support Team immediately to confirm your custom width opening meausurement(s).